The Integrated Support Center for Nuclear Nonproliferation and Nuclear Security (ISCN) conducts policy research, based on its technical expertise, focusing on the issues of nuclear nonproliferation and nuclear security. The ISCN also disseminates information on topics and trends related to nuclear nonproliferation and nuclear security in Japan and abroad through Nuclear Nonproliferation Trends and ISCN Newsletter, and edits a “Nuclear Nonproliferation Pocket Book” that summarizes them (only in Japanese).
1. Conducting policy research on nuclear nonproliferation and nuclear security, based on its technical expertise, in response to international trends related to nuclear nonproliferation and nuclear security
The main contents and results of policy studies on nuclear nonproliferation and nuclear security that have been conducted and are currently being conducted are as follows. In conducting this research, we established the Nonproliferation Policy Research Committee, which consists mainly of experts from outside JAEA. We have taken into account the opinions and findings of the expert.
- (1) Research on the analysis of factors and technical processes for achieving denuclearization
- This study aims to analyze the factors for achieving denuclearization and to examine the technical processes for the incapacitation and decommissioning of nuclear facilities and their verification by studying the cases of states that have denuclearized or are making efforts toward denuclearization.
JAEA Reviews (Research Reports (in Japanese)):
- Case Study and Factor Analysis of Denuclearization: JAEA-Review-2021-076
- Investigation on Libya's Case: JAEA-Review-2021-073
- Investigation on Iraq's Case: JAEA-Review-2022-020
- Investigation on South Africa's Case: JAEA-Review-2022-056
- (2) Research on measures to promote nuclear nonproliferation (safeguards) and nuclear security (collectively called “2Ss”)
- Measures to generate synergistic effects and their applicability for 2S in nuclear fuel cycle facilities were studied, and issues to be addressed when applying the measures were identified and their countermeasures were examined.
- And it was clarified that the synergistic effects of 2S will contribute to further enhancement and efficiency of nuclear nonproliferation and nuclear security in nuclear fuel cycle facilities.
- (3) Analysis on Nuclear Non-proliferation Prerequisite in International Cooperation for Peaceful Nuclear Use and Nuclear Policy Backgrounds of Major Nuclear Supplier States (Research Review: JAEA-Review-2014-029)
- We analyzed the role of nuclear nonproliferation requirements in bilateral nuclear cooperation agreements, which are legal frameworks to ensure the peaceful use of transferred items and derived nuclear materials when nuclear equipment and technology are transferred between two countries.
- Furthermore, with regard to the new U.S.-South Korea Nuclear Cooperation Agreement that entered into force in November 2015, we summarized the survey and analysis of the issues of the revision negotiations, the arguments of the governments of the two countries, and the content and analysis of the new agreement as the outcome report "On the New U.S.-South Korea Nuclear Cooperation Agreement" JAEA-Review 2016-019.
- (4) Study on the Effect of the U.S. Non-proliferation Policy on Japan's Nuclear Fuel Cycle Policy (Research Review: JAEA-Review-2014-007)
- With regard to the nuclear nonproliferation policy of the United States, which has had a significant impact on Japan's nuclear energy policy, especially its nuclear fuel cycle policy, we analyzed the past history of nuclear energy policy and nonproliferation issues between Japan and the United States, and focused on the Tokai reprocessing negotiations and the revision of the Japan-U.S. Nuclear Cooperation Agreement in 1988.
- (5) Review and Analysis of Japan's Efforts to Ensure Nuclear Non-proliferation (Research Review: JAEA-Review-2010-040)
- With regard to the peaceful use of nuclear energy, we summarized the achievements and efforts that Japan has made so far to gain the trust of the international community, and summarized and extracted the elements necessary for establishing trust in the peaceful use of nuclear energy.
- (6) Research on Assurance System of Nuclear Fuel Supply (Research Review: JAEA-Review-2009-035)
- We investigated and analyzed various concepts of "assurance of nuclear fuel supply" proposed to strengthen the international nuclear nonproliferation regime, including information obtained during overseas surveys.
- (7) Research on improving the reliability and transparency of peaceful use of nuclear energy in the Asian region
- We provided cooperation in the development of nuclear nonproliferation systems to countries that have newly introduced nuclear power generation.
- In June 2016, we signed a memorandum of understanding for cooperation with the Vietnam Agency for Radiation and Nuclear Safety (VARANS), which led to the development of our support for human resource development in Asian countries.
- (8) Research on nuclear non-proliferation and nuclear security related to the back end
- Issues related to nuclear nonproliferation and nuclear security at the back-end measures, including the direct disposal of spent fuel, were identified and countermeasures were studied.