For providing the technical basis for a nuclear regulatory authority and facilitating nuclear safety research, we perform:
- Studies that focus on important events related to continuous improvement of nuclear safety;
- Extensive research on nuclear safety, including probable future issues.
Through such research, we contribute to the development of safety criteria and support the authoring of safety regulations with a scientific and rational technical basis.
To achieve these objectives and reduce the risks of operating nuclear facilities, we review our previous research on design-based events before the severe accident (SA) at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. We have expanded our research beyond design-based accidents as follows:
- Development of evaluation methods for the prevention and reduction in progression of severe accidents;
- Research on preparation for and response to emergency situations;
- Research on radiation consequences and management of radiation waste related to severe accidents;
- Research on criticality safety management of debris from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.
We will contribute to standards-making process and validation of measures used in devising safety regulations based on such research results; we will also support activities related to the decommissioning of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant and restoration of environmental safety.