HOME > News & Information > Recruitment > Recruitment for Postdoctoral Fellow 2021 (Fixed-term researcher)
‐Click here, and jump to Japanese pages‐
About 15 persons
-Advanced science research
-Nuclear science and engineering
-Nuclear safety research
-Advanced nuclear system research and development
-Geological isolation research and development
-Other related research fields
For more information, see “Recruitment Field for Postdoctoral Fellow of JAEA [PDF]”.
* If you wish to confirm the subjects by major, please click the following.
(1) Having a PhD degree related to recruitment field (at starting date of contract)
(2) Having a PhD obtained after April 1, 2013.
(3) Applicant previously employed as JAEA Postdoctoral Fellow cannot apply.
Period of employment is April 1, 2021 to March 31, 2022.
One contract period is a maximum of 1 fiscal year. The contract period can be renewed but the total contract period is a maximum of 3 fiscal years (until March 31, 2024) depending upon the annual review of your research progress.
* If you are a fixed-term employee of JAEA at present, the extension of employment contract will be limited to five years in total from the original recruitment.
Should you achieve outstanding results during your fixed-term employment, you could be offered a position as permanent staff.
Terms of employment
Annual salary JPY 4,800,000 including social insurance and tax(Paid in 1/12 equal monthly payments 400,000yen/month)
Commutation allowance, Housing allowance, etc.
(2) Working Hours
Discretionary work system ; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Weekend (Saturday and Sunday), National holidays, Year-end and new-year holidays, Paid holidays
(4) Social Insurance, etc.
Health insurance, Welfare pension insurance, Corporate pension fund, Employment insurance, Industrial accident compensation insurance
Dormitory for family and singles
(6) Trial period: 6 months.
(1) Application form [PDF, WORD]
(2) Transcripts (for bachelor)
(3) Photocopy of PhD.diploma (who has a PhD) or Certification for expected completion of PhD course (who is in PhD course)
(4) One or two letter(s) of recommendation written by senior researcher who well knows your research and personality.
* Submit the signed letter in PDF format.
* Including one from the current supervisor is better.
* Letter(s) written by a JAEA employee will not be accepted.
(5) Consent for the Treatment of Personal Data [PDF, WORD]
* Only for residents in any one of EEA member countries, namely a member country of the EU, and Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway.
Address for submission of application
Submit via "JREC-IN Portal Web application".(Data number:D120080198)
Recommendation letter is also acceptable from recommender to Personnel Section directly.
【Points to Note for Web Application】
(1) All application forms should be in PDF format and be organized in one ZIP file.
(2) Name of the ZIP file should be theme number and applicant's full name, ≪J**_name≫.
(3) Before handing in, make sure that the file size is under 20MB. A compressed file can't be accepted.
(4) Do not set any password for files you hand in.
(5) After your submission through JREC-IN, we will check your application documents if they are acceptable or not. After that, your application status on JREC-IN will be changed to “Accepted" or “Non-acceptance". When your status is changed, you will receive an E-mail notification about the change from JREC-IN automatically. The E-mail would not be sent as soon as you hand in, so please check your acceptance status after you get an E-mail notification.
(6) If there are any faults as for documents, for example list of achievements is not attached, your application will not be accepted. Also, if any of the said elements is lacking, for example subject of ZIP file is missing, your application is treated as non-acceptance.
Write in subject [Recommendation letter for Postdoctoral Fellow (applicant name)]. Attach a signed letter in PDF format.
If you do not receive the acknowledgement email within a week, please contact us at the email address in “Contact persons" below.
jinji-saiyo[at]jaea.go.jp (Replace [at] with @ )
August 28, 2020 (Japan Standard Time)
Applicants will be screened based on their submitted documents.
The screening result will be notified to the applicants by e-mail.
Note that application documents will not be returned.
(1) Examination of research achievements (presentation using PowerPoint file or etc. and Q&A)
Date of recruitment examination (planned)
Result of recruitment examination(planned)
The result of recruitment examination will be notified to the applicants in in November 2020.
Starting date of employment
April 1, 2021
It is negotiable for applicant who is in PhD course.
(From April 1, 2021 to October 1,2021, next month after graduation.)
We will refund your travel expenses for the recruitment examination according to the JAEA’s administrative rules.
We can only bear the actual travel cost in Japan.
Detailed information will be provided to the applicants.
Points to note
(1) The successful applicant is supposed to submit medical in English certificate taken within 6 months (including height, weight, eyesight, urinalysis, chest X-ray).
(2) The successful applicant without Japanese Nationality is required to obtain a necessary visa status to work in Japan by the date of adoption.
Personnel Section, Personnel Department, Japan Atomic Energy Agency
765-1 Funaishikawa, Tokai-mura, Naka-gun, Ibaraki 319-1184, Japan
E-mail: jinji-saiyo[at]jaea.go.jp (Replace [at] with @ )
Purposes of Using Personal Information
We will use personal information only for the screening process. It will also be used for employment management for those employed. The information of the unsuccessful applicants will be discard a year after the submission.